Friday 4 September 2015

Summer Project - Kendrick Lamar

Another task that I was given was to select my favourite music artist and pick two videos - one that I liked and one that I disliked. 

I chose Kendrick Lamar, simply because he is one of the most inspiring rappers in Hip Hop, almost comparable to Tupac. My favourite music video from Kendrick is his video for the song 'I'.




The music video for Kendrick Lamar’s song ‘I’, embodies the beauty of groove and funk within the Black community. The song itself emits positivity with the message of self worth being important. The extremely high camera quality of the video creates stunning visuals, especially with the scene when Kendrick and his entourage dance in front of the beautiful skyline of the city. The lighting used throughout the video highlights the beauty of the suburban area, as well as the solo dance steps Kendrick does. This creates a very upbeat style of video, something that massively appeals to me. Moreover, the story itself in the video is very simple, but the execution of it, is what makes it my favourite music video from this artist.

However, the music video that is my least favourite from Kendrick is his video for 'King Kunta'. 



The music video for Kendrick Lamar’s song ‘King Kunta’ is not necessarily bad, it’s just not my favourite of all his music videos. This is only due to the fact that the camera quality of the video is not as high as his other videos. In my opinion, yes the video creates an old school hip-hop feel to it which is positive, however, I think that at some moments within the video, it does look like a homemade video from an artist with a budget. 


Overall, Kendrick always releases high quality music videos to match with his high quality music. Although King Kunta is not my favourite music video of all of Kendrick's videos, it still achieves a level of authenticity which most music videos fail to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment