Thursday 3 December 2015

In Skeng We Trust

Today I was casually watching one of my favourite music channels, Channel AKA - a TV channel showcasing grime, hip hop and R&B. A video from an artist that I like - Stormzy - started to play and I was instantly hooked to it. I was already familiar with the song 'know me from', but had not seen the video. Take a look yourself.





The pros and cons of the music video vary, however, it is overall a very entertaining music video which entices the target audience: young teenagers. Below is what I thought of the music video.

PROS:

1) ENTERTAINMENT: The video itself is extremely entertaining in my opinion as it uses a lot of choreographed movement. Simple use of props (such as the whatsapp icon) adds a sense of humour which reiterates the entertaining factor to the video. 
2) SIMPLICITY: The video uses one take - known as a one shot camera style. This showcases Stormzys performing ability - being able to lip synch whilst performing to a range of choreographed movements. Although this may be argued as a 'budget' and 'unprofessional' style, this is used by most grime artists which almost makes it mainstream. 

CONS:

1) EDITING: The fact that within the video, the camera had to stop due to cars blocking the artist shows a lack of professionalism. This however could be overlooked at and be seen as a humorous element to the video. The editing itself is very basic which will not appeal to most audiences. 

I may have been slightly biased towards this music video but I genuinely enjoyed watching it and continued to replay the song again. I think that although the editing is basic, and does not use the best camera to film with or editing program, it definitely showcases Stormzy's talent and allows the audience to focus more on the song. In skeng we trust #MERKY 

No comments:

Post a Comment