Friday 19 June 2015

5 Favourite Music Videos

As I will be creating a music video towards the end of this year, I decided to list my 5 favourite music videos of all time in order to start thinking about what style of video I would like to potentially create. 



I will do a countdown and explain why these music videos in particular are my favourite in terms of camera angles, story/content and editing techniques.

5) Lilly Singh (Superwoman) ft Sickick: Clean Up Anthem




The reason why this music video is one of my favourite music videos is because firstly, Lilly Singh AKA iiSuperwomanii is one of my favourite YouTubers that I like to watch. This music video has many comedic elements that she has implemented from her own YouTube videos such as the parent characters (which she dresses up as). These comedic elements therefore make the music video more entertaining to watch, adding onto the fact that the song itself is very catchy and upbeat. Furthermore, I like the lighting of this music video, specifically when the dance routine takes place. If I were to choose a dance genre for my music video, I would much like it to resemble this. 


4) Kanye West: Stronger





This music video is another one of my favourites, mostly because of the very intriguing storyline and the wide variety of editing. The most aesthetically appealing editing styles of the video is when the scene has slight lines on it with foreign text appearing. The constant close ups of his face with the text creates a more hip hop vibe which I specifically like. Overall, this video has the elements in being a very high quality music video such as the quality of the video itself, the editing, the storyline and also the music as well. 


3) Michael Jackson: You Rock My World




Apart from the fact that this video is by the King Of Pop, Michael Jackson, the story line is pretty basic, along with the editing techniques. However, the reason as to why this video is in one of my top three is because of the strong choreography. Michael Jackson is a renowned dancer as well as artist in general. His sleek moves makes the music video more appealing to watch and adds a certain entertainment factor. Also, Chris Tucker's comedic role within the video makes the video more enjoyable as he comes across as a less serious 'wingman' of MJ. The overall style of the video is very basic but the right set, story, characters and choreography gives it more superiority in comparison to other music videos. 


2) Rihanna: Where Have You Been




This music video in particular has to be one of the most artistic videos on the internet. I love every aspect of this video from the choreography, costume, makeup and 'sets' (backdrops). This video has a very animalistic but tribal vibe to it and it is visually stunning. The lighting in some scenes emphasize the beauty of the artist, Rihanna, and is aesthetically appealing too. The video subverts from a stereotypical 'dance' anthem as it doesn't use the typical party scene which others do. Overall, the video's unique style is a contributing factor to its popularity and also explains why it is my second favourite music video of all time. 


1) Prima J: Rockstar




This is my top music video because of the main fact that this came out during my childhood and I was and still am absolutely obsessed with it. I love the story of two powerful women being 'rockstars', living their life and being proud to be themselves. This music video was very colorful and fun, with the main element being the attitude of the the artists. I personally think that the attitude and role that the artists play are a key feature in what makes a successful music video and this certainly embodies it.


And there you have it! My five favourite music videos of all time. I hope that these videos prove to be a source of inspiration for my music video in the future. Thank you for reading.   

No comments:

Post a Comment